Sunday, April 28, 2013

Literacy Center Game - Green Eggs

A few times a week we have learning centers. I would love to do it more, but with 30 kids in my class, parent volunteers are a must. So, we do it as often as we have people willing to help. I try to include a reading game each week in one of the centers. This week I introduced a new game in tribute to Dr. Suess. Yes, it's a little late for Literature Appreciation Day, but my students love Dr. Seuss all year long. I got the idea from a pinterest pic and then just extended it to include a few more twists and threw in some green eggs to give it the Suess twist. I used the second 100 words on the Fry list. Copied them on yellow construction paper and the "twists" (lose your turn, skip, get two extra cards, etc) on green construction paper. You can download these colorful yolks here. Then I drew the white of the egg on card stock and had parents trace it onto white paper and cut. The kids actually cut out the yolk when their work was complete. They may not be perfect circles, but they loved helping...so my perfectionist side got over it. Glue the two together. I bought a spatula for 99¢ and we were in business. Place all the eggs upside down and have them take turns flipping over the egg. They read the word and keep it or follow the directions on the yolk. Have a parent lead the group to offer assistance. My kids had a blast!


Click here for Freebie!




1 comment:

  1. Kristen- I just wanted to say thank you for this free resource! I'm printing it out now and am about to get them ready for the laminator!

    ReplyDelete